There are times when a user may want to change the Bluehost Primary Domain Name to a New Domain name. We realized that many users don't really know how they can do it and this is the reason that we finally thought of publishing this post. If you are one of those Bluehost users, this post will walk you through the entire process of changing Bluehost Primary Domain Name.
Once you go through this post carefully, changing Bluehost Primary Domain Name accurately should not be any difficult for you. There are actually two ways one can go about it. You can ask the support team to do it on your behalf or you can do it on your own.
Changing the Bluehost Primary Domain Name with the Help Bluehost Support
No matter if you are using Shared Hosting, VPS Hosting, or Dedicated Hosting, you can always rest assured of the best help from the Bluehost Support in changing the Bluehost primary domain of your account.
Things to consider before the actual process begins
- The time taken by the process depends upon the account's size and may take 20 mins to 5 hours
- It will not change usernames, passwords, files, and databases
- It is always wise to backup your website and databases
- In the process, website files for the new domain will be moved to the public_html directory and those of the old domain is moved to a sub folder of public_html
- You have to make sure that the primary domain points to the public_html directory
- All the domain forwarders should be deleted
- The old Custom DNS changes will be lost and so will the Cloudflare configurations. You will need to do the DNS settings over again and also, configure the settings in your Cloudflare account.
The Process of Renaming the Account
After you get your account ready for the renaming, you can simply contact the Bluehost support via phone or chat. In order to process your request, they will need the following details…
- Primary Domain Name
- New Domain Name
- Last 4 characters of your cPanel Password
- A confirmation that you have understood the things involved in the account rename process and also, have backed up your website and database files.
Changing the Bluehost Primary Domain Name on your own
After you have done the mandatory things required to get your account ready for the change, you must log in to your cPanel. After that, you should get to the “Order Information View” and type the domain name in the search field. You could then click on the drop-down and select order from there.
After the order page opens, look for the option called, “Change Domain” and click on it. This will present you with the option to change the domain from old to new and in fact, this is the final step. Simply enter your new domain name without HTTPS or HTTP and click on save.
Right thereafter, you should see a notification, “Your request to change the primary domain of your hosting package has been placed.” With this, one can be sure that the request has been successfully placed. However, it may take a while for the DNS changes to process and once it is done, your website should be up and running with the new domain name as the Bluehost primary domain similar to SiteGround.
Changing Bluehost Primary Domain Name is not very difficult as long as you know how to go about it and as mentioned in the beginning, you can either do it on your own or let the Bluehost support do it for you. However, you should have your account perfectly ready for the change by doing the mandatory things like taking a backup, etc.
In case one encounters any technical difficulties in doing that, one can always contact the Bluehost support and as a matter fact, Bluehost has one of the friendliest support team. Once you have your account ready for the change, it merely takes a few minutes to place a request and you can either do it yourself or ask the support team to do it for you.
How difficult is that?